Sunday, May 10, 2015

Entry #84: Dedication to My Mom

One day while driving, I asked her, "Mom, what's my favourite colour?"
Without hesitation, she answered, " Last time it was pink, now it's blue."
And then it hit me that, my mom is the one single person on the planet that understands me this well. 
Most times we take it for granted, we argue with our parents and then get frustrated because we think they don't understand us enough. 
In actual fact, I don't think it's because they don't understand us but rather it's because they don't agree with us and they're afraid that we might make a mistake. 
Parents are like that, aren't they. They worry unnecessarily, give unconditionally and love tenderly.
Sometimes they will even choose to place us in a cage because they're afraid of losing us and even more afraid of letting the outside world cause any harm to us but what they forget is that if they don't let us fly, we won't be able to see the beauty of the world.
Yes, the world is not perfect. There are war, discrimination, inequalities and prejudice happening all around the world. The chances are, we will be caught up in one of those scenarios and we cannot avoid it but the thing that we can do is to face it upfront, stand up for ourselves and learn to survive.
If they don't learn to let go, we will never be able to learn and we will never be able to survive. 
We will be like birds waiting to be preyed upon. 
They have to know that, letting us go is not losing us. It's giving us a chance to fall down and then pick ourselves back up. It's giving us an opportunity to grow as an individual and to brave whatever storm that comes our way. 
This Mother's Day, I just want to let my mom know that we will always keep what she taught us in mind, we will love our kids like how she have loved us and we will pass on what she taught us through the next generation.
I just want to let her know that I love her and I appreciate everything that she has done for us. 
I just want to let her know that despite our differences, I will always respect her.
I just want to let her know that she has been an incredible pillar of strength through difficult times and that at the end of the day, I know she's just worried about me.
I just want to let her know that I am who I am today because of her. 
So Thank You, Mom. 




Love,
Kai Wen Chim


No comments:

Post a Comment