Thursday, July 18, 2013

Entry #41: Food Review on a Roll Pt. 1 The Red Bean Bag & The Bee.

Before visiting Bing and meeting her one last time before flying off to Australia, the girls and I went and had a hearty breakfast at RBB ( short for Red Bean Bag ) followed by sinful but gratifying desserts at the Bee afterwards.

First, let's talk about The Red Bean Bag in Publika.
I've heard about The Red Bean Bag for a long time but this is my first visit there and to be honest, with all the hype on Instagram, I had pretty high expectations and I was very much prepared to be impressed.
Whether I'm impressed or not?
Well, you have to read on to find out, don't you ? ;)
On one fine Wednesday morning, the girls and I stepped into a beautifully designed interior which exudes the feel of being in Australia yourself.


The interior is really commendable.
They have shacks hanged on the wall with different words like soul, truth, wit and passion printed on it with different materials inside but yet purposely leaving some hints to be seen for us to know what it is.
Like for passion, there's a violin seen sticking out of the shack.
For truth, there were pieces of torn envelopes.
For soul, fruits and for wit, a cap.
I think plenty of thought was put into the interiors and it really turned out looking fantastic with an indie kind of feel to it.




Upon entering the retaurant, we found an indoor seat for three, read through the menu and ordered three different types of egg dishes.
For myself,
I ordered Eggs Atlantic (RM22) ,


If you're a fan of Eggs Benedict, you would know that Eggs Atlantic basically means the exact same thing except for the fact that it serves smoked salmon rather than ham or bacon.
Three things different about the Eggs Atlantic in The Red Bean Bag as compared to other places is that, instead of the usual bread, hollandaise sauce, poached eggs and salmon only, their Eggs Atlantic are additionally served with Enoki mushrooms on top of a thick french toast and finished with caviar on top. I like the fact that they used french toast instead of the normal bread and their french toast is thick, fluffy and definitely a pleasure to the mouth but I do not enjoy the enoki mushrooms plainly because, the mushroom aftertaste is way too strong and it kind of dulls out the taste of the other ingredients. I'm really particular when it comes to mushrooms. When the mushroom aftertaste is too strong, I tend to dislike it but of course, that's my own personal preference. One thing that's impressive about the Eggs dishes, especially poached eggs is that they're perfectly poached and you would have a great time looking at the egg yolk leak out.




(Sorry, I just had to. It was such a beautiful sight, my egg yolk running out like a stream of water in a river )

Shannen's choice:
Sumo (RM22)




I can't give Sumo a proper description but here's a half assed one despite putting in my greatest effort.
It's rosti with curred salmon topped with poached eggs and hollandaise sauce.
Shannen don't seem to enjoy this dish very much and feels it's a little too eggy.

Sara's choice:
Specialty baked eggs. ( RM18 )
Eggs Cracked Into A Baking Dish Of Lamb, Beef & Chicken Bratwurst, Sundried Tomatoes, Aubergine, Potatoes & Cheese
and served with two slices crusty bread.



Looks like lasagna, smells like lasagna and taste like lasagna but yet, not a lasagna.
One of the better choices of the day.
Sara seems satisfied.

Overall, I think RBB offers a limited range of choices.
The prices seems reasonable enough.
The ambience is excellent. Great place to chill and hang out with friends.
I wasn't extremely impressed with my meal but it was decent enough and I would return for the french toasts.

Additional photos while we're there.
Shannen, an asian very hard at work.




Sara, my partner in daydreaming.
Hehe.




After our breakfast at RBB, we walked over to The Bee at the far corner of Publika.
I've heard plenty of great reviews on their coffee and last polka ice cream and decided it's finally time to try it for myself.
Nowadays, I like to have my meals and desserts at two different places instead of trying everything in a single restaurant.

The Bee.
Another great place to hang out and chill.
When it comes to a place to sit comfortably and chat,
I'm spoilt for a choice when in Publika.


" Only those who wil risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go" - T.S Elliot




Great interior, cozy feeling and handsome looking waiters. 
What a great combination.
Definitely a good place for the soul and the eyes *winks*
Seriously though, I'm not joking when I say their waiters are good looking plus they provide excellent service.
Strictly males. ( MORE FOR ME. Hehe )
I didn't seem to spot any female waitress that morning.

Order of the day.
Latte. (RM9)
Originally, I ordered the drip brewing but the very kind and very cute waiter came up to me to tell me that the beans weren't fresh so I decided otherwise and ordered the latte.
Excellent service, huh. 
And don't ask me how the coffee taste.
I am still an apprentice learning the ways of coffee.
Honestly, I feel like in Malaysia, there's plenty of people like me that knows close to nothing about coffee other than instant coffees in a packet and YET goes around drinking coffee like a pro. 
very the #tortorlanyeh indeed.
Haha.
But over time, I'm sure we'll learn the ways of coffee and I'm sorry I can't provide any useful feedback for now.





Horlicks ice cream cake. ( RM14 )
From bottom to top, it's basically a layer of Oreo base topped with Horlicks ice cream covered with a layer of solidified chocolate and finished with chunks of caramel on top.
When it was first served, it was still very frozen so let it stand for awhile before having your first scoop.
Despite the oreo base being a tad bit too hard,
I find myself liking it more and more with every scoop.
YUMS.



Shannen's pick:
The Last Polka
Strawberry cream cheese flavour
This homemade ice cream does not disappoint.
It has a rich and smooth texture to it.



Sara's pick:
The Bee's Affogato
(With the Last Polka ice cream)


The look of it all.





All in all, I had a really sweet time at the Bee with my girls.
And I would be back for the coffee and those handmade ice creams, there's still plenty of choices I haven't tried after all.

The Red Beanbag
Lot A4-1-8, Solaris Dutamas, Jalan Dutamas 1, Kuala Lumpur 50480.
603-62115116
Opening Hours:
Weekdays: 9.30am - 10pm / Weekends: 10am - 10pm (closed Mondays)

The Bee
36B, Level G2, Publika, 

Solaris Dutamas, 
Jln Dutamas 1,
50480, Kuala Lumpur
Tel: (603) 6201 8577

Opening Hours:
Mon to Fri: 11am until late
Sat and Sun: 10am until late

No comments:

Post a Comment